How to Write a Summary of an Article
It’s a skill to learn how to write the perfect summary of an article during any college or university education. People prefer to go with papers that have the relevant information they are searching for. When they find your article is loaded with plenty of images, videos, and unwanted text, they automatically move to the next article or blog. As a content writer, you need to make your point short and accurate. Using the formatting features like bullet points, bolding, and extra white space can help the user identify the essential elements they need. In this blog, we will check out how to summarize an excellent article in a simple way.
What is a summary?
A good summary contains only the critical points of the article that is required by the readers. A good summary needs to satisfy the following requirements.
- What the article deals with should be conveyed concisely and clearly in your summary.
- Every summary should hold a unique writing style.
- The summary needs to be short as well should hold the required information.
- The summary should explain every argument and notion.
How to summarize an article?
There are three simple steps you can follow when it comes to summarizing a perfect article.
1. Identify the main topic or idea
The goal of an article is to explore a specific topic or idea via logic and exposition. A summary should identify the critical purpose of the article and enclose them in your own words. For doing this, you have to read the article multiple times. Write down the initial impression after reading and ensure to include the first & last name of the author, article title in your notation, which can be used for future reference.
How can you explore the article’s main idea?
- Just with the title of the article, you can know what information the readers require.
- Determine the targeted audience by identifying the publication place.
- Know the publication date.
- Know what type of essay like scholarly, literary, argumentative, or expository.
- Determine the piece tone.
- Identify the specific arguments or notions that are repeated continuously.
2. Determining key arguments
It’s the preparatory process, and you should once again read the article to summarize it in the right format. Explore the supporting arguments, and below are few tips on identifying them.
- Utilize a computer program or read on a paper copy that helps to make annotations.
- Underline important sentence in every article paragraph.
- Write those sentences in your own words on the page side.
- Once you complete reading the article, you need to read every topic sentences you wrote down.
- Rewrite essential ideas in your own words.
- Make use of complete sentences with appropriate transition words.
- Ensure you don’t use the same sentence structure, phrases, or words as listed in the original article.
- Your summary needs to be concise and short.
3. Summarizing the perfect article
Below are some of the elements a good summary should hold.
- Rewrite the author’s thesis.
- Include the name, title, and journal of the article in the published article.
- Use direct quotations and paraphrase wherever required.
- Don’t copy and paste words, phrases, and sentences from the original document. It may lead to Copyscape.
- Ensure to use the present tense.
- Never use the first-person narrative.
- Stay to the point. Don’t add any unwanted information.
- If you don’t have particular length requirements, you can make them one-third of the original article.
Your summary needs to include
- Start with an overview or summary of the article, which includes the article title and author’s name.
- Complete with a thesis statement that highlights the primary goal of the article.
- The entire paragraph, in summary, changes based on the original article length.
- Ensure not to extend one-third of the original article. In the one-paragraph summary, you need to discuss the supporting points in individual sentences, whereas the multi-paragraph summary requires separate paragraphs.
- The topic sentence should be the starting line of each paragraph.
- Every paragraph should focus on the relevant information of the article.
- Summarize the primary goal of the article and the meaning reliably again.
Suppose you cannot follow any of the above tips for framing a summarization of your own article. In that case, the best option is to stick with a free and best online text summarizer, which would automatically perform all the above aspects more easily. Intellippt is a superior online text summary generator tool that summarises your original document to several sentences you prefer to shorten.
Intellippt summary generator tool is derived for anyone in the educational field. Just copy and paste the original article in the summary box along with the number of sentences, and the tool will automatically extract the article as you require with crucial points. It takes DOCX and PDF as input and delivers the result within seconds.
Hope you are now clear on writing a summary for an article, blog, or any other posts. Do you summarize an article of your own or else make use of a powerful online text summarizer tool like Intellippt and make your work easier? Let us know through the comment section below.